Between the 8th and 13th centuries Tavira was under Arab rule until its conquest by the Knights of the Order of Santiago in 1242.
The gracious seven arch bridge, over the river Gilão, was believed to be Roman in origin for a while but is now thought to be Moorish, although its present appearance was acquired in the 17th century.
There are more than 20 churches in and around the town along with plenty of other sights.
The Moorish occupation of Tavira between the 8th and 13th centuries left its mark on the agriculture, architecture and culture of the area.
That Moorish influence can still be seen in Tavira today with its whitewashed buildings, Moorish style doors and rooftops.
Above is Igreja de Santa Maria do Castelo, is a 13th-century Gothic Church, built on the site of a Moorish mosque but rebuilt by an Italian neoclassicist following earthquake damage 500 years later.
It’s next to the ruins of Tavira castle where you can make the climb onto the ramparts and enjoy the view across the pretty town.
It’s a far ole drop down! But the pay off is that from atop the walls views of whitewashed houses stretch into the distance.