The next (literal) port of call on our Cornish explorer is the beautiful little town of Charlestown.
The little town has a wonderful, unspoiled example of a late Georgian working port.
It was constructed between 1791 and 1801 by Charles Rashleigh who was an entrepreneur and member of a local landowning family. It was built to help facilitate the growth of the growth of the local mining industry.
Charlestown was formerly known as West Polmear with a population of just nine people and a small fishing fleet that used the beach as a harbour.
When completed, Charlestown was a model Georgian “new town” and by the 19th century lots of businesses were established in sheds and warehouses around the harbour.
These included pilchard curing, shipbuilding, brick making and lime burning and the population grew to nearly 3,000.
Although the old traditional businesses around the harbour have mainly gone, it has found a new lease of life with bustling pop up cafes, restaurants and hip little bars.