We make a brief stop in the pretty town of Elche. Famous for its huge palm grove and extensive gardens. The municipal park was the first public garden created in the city in 1946.
One of the most interesting buildings in the municipal park is the old visitors centre – in a pseudo-oriental style and nicknamed “el huevo” (the egg) due to its shape and colour.
It is the only building surviving from the 1946 regional exhibition and fair and it once housed the city’s archaeological and palm museums.
The city of Elche is also worth a little mooch around, with some attractive buildings and sculptures to be gazed at.
Below is the blue dome of the Basilica of Santa María de Elche and some rather creepy sculptures!