Villa Carlotta is one of the most famous villas on Lake Como and she is a beauty!
Milanese marquis Giorgio Clerici decided to establish his country estate on ancestral lakeside land at Tremezzo. The estate was complete in its initial form by 1695.
His great-grandson Anton Giorgio Clerici inherited the family fortune, and completed the villa in 1745 but then used up the family wealth on a pet building project meaning the villa had to be sold.
In 1843, Princess Marianna, the wife of Prince Albert of Prussia, bought the property for 780,000 lira.
Princess Marianne gave the property to her daughter Charlotte in 1847 as a wedding present and the house was re-named Villa Carlotta.
The villa and grounds are located on the lakeshore at Tremezzo, facing the Bellagio peninsula.
The villa also has extensive grounds, and the botanical garden covers an area of about 20 acres consisting of several different sections.
Immediately around the villa, towards the lake are the Italian garden with cut hedges and pergolas with orange and camellia trees.
Then, to end the visit it can’t get more Italian than gelato by the lakeside!