Next on our Cornish trip is the pretty little harbour village of Mevagissey.
Old Mevagissey has a distinctive twin harbour that provides a safe haven for the many fishing boats that land their daily catch.
Named after two Irish saints, St Meva and St Issey, the quaint village dates back to at least 1313.
Although the first record is of a hamlet of this name in 1313, but there were local settlements in the Bronze Age.
During the 1800s Mevagissey prospered on the back of the abundant source of pilchards out to sea.
The attractive harbourside village was once the centre of Cornwall’s pilchard fishery and still has a working harbour
There is a Folk Museum, and an aquarium, in the old lifeboat house, displaying locally caught fish which was closed due to Covid while we were there.